Wednesday, June 18, 2008

7" x 7.5" Tilted Squares

Wow! I made progress - all on my own!

In our small group, we have homework assignments, I prefer to call them "torture challenges".

The most recent torture challenge is to cancel a credit card. Well, THAT was easy...my credit rating of: FAILED, has hindered me from having a credit card - so I will ride the plastic tails of my husband and consider his card closure mine as well; what can I say, we've cleaved!

The very first torture challenge is to build a $1000 emergency fund, in cash, of course. Brian has always done this for himself - even before the small group, so I was able to raise my hand at the meeting when the question was asked about having this first step completed. Thank You, Brian!

Another torture challenge was to implement the "envelope system". I know the system - I use it almost daily. I address envelopes to send birthday cards, anniversary cards, note cards, thank you cards...you name it, I send an envelope. Well...I found out they weren't talking about THAT kind of envelope.

Brian and I were told about the envelope system in our premarital counseling sessions. It sounded LAME to me. Oh, yeah...talking about money FREAKS me out! So, of course I poo-poo'd the idea. Now it's different. We aren't in a premarital counseling session where we're getting suggestions for a strong marriage - we are in a Financial Fitness small group, where the WHOLE stinkin' point is to get out of debt!

So, off I truck to the bank. Talk about ironic! I went into the bank to withdraw money, to put into an envelope and keep in my home...to SAVE? That just sounds hilarious to me. Having cash on hand just makes it easier to access!! But I did it. I came home and sat at the table carefully counting out exact amounts for each of 8 categories I'm to be responsible for. I have a piddly income, as I'm a stay at home mom, so the financial responsibility falls heavily on Brian's shoulders. For the first time, with doing the budget I realized I can contribute to the household by saving a little at a time for certain expenses. Ready for the kicker? IT FELT GOOD!

I felt exhilarated as I was stuffing cash into envelopes! That just doesn't seem right! But it's true! I found that I can save for a years worth of Brian's adrenalin addictions (snowboarding & skydiving) and look at that as a "gift" to my husband - nothing could be more exciting for me to save money for!

When Brian came home, he was shocked. Knowing how much money freaks me out, he was genuinely moved that I'm taking this seriously - and that I'm actively participating. Then came the "gulp"...

And I quote, "You're amazing! I know how much you don't like to deal with this! You've done great! Next, you can start an envelope for your own $1000 emergency fund!" (I started that envelope.....)

Amazing the freedom that comes within the folds of a simple piece of paper.

No comments: