In National Treasure: Book of Secrets, Nicolas Cage said to Bruce Greenwood (the actor who played the President), "No offense, sir, but Abraham Lincoln is my favorite president" This is meaningful for a few reasons - 1) Anyone (well, everyone, I think) who knows me knows my opinion of Nicolas Cage: He's HOT. (yes, even my husband puts up with this silly attraction from me. 2) The National Treasure movies are among my top 5 favorites - they are simply fun to watch. (It doesn't hurt that my favorite actor stars in them both!) 3) Abraham Lincoln happens to be my favorite president, too. (And folks thought Nicolas Cage & I have nothing in common...ha!)
Last summer, the four of us traveled to Tennessee, to visit Brians sister. The week there was wonderful; playing with our nieces, relaxing on the deck, marveling at the acres and acres of crops - and the list goes on! One of the main highlights of the trip was the 3 hour trip we took from Cedar Hill, Tennessee to Hodgenville, Kentucky.
Who ever heard of Hodgenville?!? We certainly hadn't, but we easily fell in love once we arrived. Hodgenville, Kentucky is the town where Sinking Spring Farm is located. It is now a national park. It is the birth place of our 16th President, Abraham Lincoln. We were there for a few hours and we took the guided tour that was offered. Bertha was our tour guide and she did something no one else has ever done before: she brought history to life for me. We were exposed to so much more of the life of Honest Abe than I ever imagined. The trip to Sinking Spring was a gift in disguise. It sparked an interest in history, not only for me, but Brian and our kids as well. Bertha ended the tour with a bit of information: February 12, 2009, is the 200th anniversary of Abe's birth, which is being celebrated in stages, beginning in Kentucky, through Illinois where he grew up and ending in Washington, DC, at the Lincoln memorial.
WOW! If THAT didn't get my attention, not much else would. Have I mentioned I really enjoy going on vacations? Brian has spoiled me by whisking the 4 of us away at least once a year for a family vacation of some sort and the two of us get away for at least a weekend each year on our anniversary. Well, this announcement from Bertha got my mind wheels turning.
I shared with Brian I wanted to be in Washington, DC for this celebration! As my excitement rose, so did his. We allocated $5000 from our 2008 tax return to sit in a money market account, waiting to be spent on our February 2009 vacation to Washington, DC. I began searching for a place to stay, placing my name on several lists of tour book companies to get the best possible deals on sightseeing and outings in the city. I put a reservation on a mini van with GPS system and on a house to rent while there. This is perfect timing for a trip to DC, because our son will be in 8th grade next year and they study American History! How perfect can this get!?!?!?
We reserved a 5 bedroom house that sleeps 12. A little over-kill for the 4 of us, but the price for the week was cheaper than renting a studio hotel room with a kitchen for 7 days. So, we decided to invite a family of friends to join us! There's plenty of room! One of our choices of who to invite is a family we love who attend our church. The couple is also in our Financial Fitness small group. As we talked about it, Brian made the choice to not invite them. "We're in a class trying to save money, I feel awkward about asking them to go on a vacation they might not be able to afford." What a smarty pants! Who wouldn't be excited about going on this trip?!?!? Who could pass this up?!?!?
We've been in this small group now for 6 weeks. And I have to tell you - the changes are happening in the least expected places, at the least expected times. I sat down with Brian last night and shared with him my thoughts as we were having an unscheduled finance meeting. It occurred to me that we can take the $5000, skip the vacation to DC in February and pay off all but $1000 on our highest of two credit card balances. That is a pretty hefty snowball to throw at our debt! Through the long talk, it was decided we will do just that. This is a big deal because I rarely think about the right thing to do when it comes to money. I feel what I want to do and then usually just do it. I have to admit, I'm disappointed about not going to DC in 7 months - but more than that, I'm determined to stick with this plan and take it seriously and do what needs to be done for the financial good of our family.
Are you ready for the biggest kicker? (More importantly, am I?)
We will be out of credit card debt in less than 12 months by doing this and then we will be able to appropriately save for the vacation in 4 years - when our son will be in 11th grade and our daughter in 5th ...when they will BOTH be studying American History!
As Romans 8:28 states, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
God is so amazing! By clearing our heads and getting our priorities straight, we will be able to make this a learning vacation for both of our kids, at an appropriate time in each of their educational careers!
Last summer, the four of us traveled to Tennessee, to visit Brians sister. The week there was wonderful; playing with our nieces, relaxing on the deck, marveling at the acres and acres of crops - and the list goes on! One of the main highlights of the trip was the 3 hour trip we took from Cedar Hill, Tennessee to Hodgenville, Kentucky.
Who ever heard of Hodgenville?!? We certainly hadn't, but we easily fell in love once we arrived. Hodgenville, Kentucky is the town where Sinking Spring Farm is located. It is now a national park. It is the birth place of our 16th President, Abraham Lincoln. We were there for a few hours and we took the guided tour that was offered. Bertha was our tour guide and she did something no one else has ever done before: she brought history to life for me. We were exposed to so much more of the life of Honest Abe than I ever imagined. The trip to Sinking Spring was a gift in disguise. It sparked an interest in history, not only for me, but Brian and our kids as well. Bertha ended the tour with a bit of information: February 12, 2009, is the 200th anniversary of Abe's birth, which is being celebrated in stages, beginning in Kentucky, through Illinois where he grew up and ending in Washington, DC, at the Lincoln memorial.
WOW! If THAT didn't get my attention, not much else would. Have I mentioned I really enjoy going on vacations? Brian has spoiled me by whisking the 4 of us away at least once a year for a family vacation of some sort and the two of us get away for at least a weekend each year on our anniversary. Well, this announcement from Bertha got my mind wheels turning.
I shared with Brian I wanted to be in Washington, DC for this celebration! As my excitement rose, so did his. We allocated $5000 from our 2008 tax return to sit in a money market account, waiting to be spent on our February 2009 vacation to Washington, DC. I began searching for a place to stay, placing my name on several lists of tour book companies to get the best possible deals on sightseeing and outings in the city. I put a reservation on a mini van with GPS system and on a house to rent while there. This is perfect timing for a trip to DC, because our son will be in 8th grade next year and they study American History! How perfect can this get!?!?!?
We reserved a 5 bedroom house that sleeps 12. A little over-kill for the 4 of us, but the price for the week was cheaper than renting a studio hotel room with a kitchen for 7 days. So, we decided to invite a family of friends to join us! There's plenty of room! One of our choices of who to invite is a family we love who attend our church. The couple is also in our Financial Fitness small group. As we talked about it, Brian made the choice to not invite them. "We're in a class trying to save money, I feel awkward about asking them to go on a vacation they might not be able to afford." What a smarty pants! Who wouldn't be excited about going on this trip?!?!? Who could pass this up?!?!?
Are you ready for the biggest kicker? (More importantly, am I?)
We will be out of credit card debt in less than 12 months by doing this and then we will be able to appropriately save for the vacation in 4 years - when our son will be in 11th grade and our daughter in 5th ...when they will BOTH be studying American History!
As Romans 8:28 states, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
God is so amazing! By clearing our heads and getting our priorities straight, we will be able to make this a learning vacation for both of our kids, at an appropriate time in each of their educational careers!
2 comments:
You absolutely made the right decision! (from one who lives in the DC area, I'm not sure coming in February is the best time...) Now, the cherry blossom festival in May is beautiful! :) We could have joined friends on a cruise with my husband's bonus, but decided to pay off all credit cards and the cars...it turned out to be our best decision!!
Stick with it and you will be out of debt before you know it! :)
Sharon,
Thank you for the encouragement!! Feb. was chosen strictly for the Lincoln celebration - but we can change that when we plan & budget for it the next time around!!
Blessings,
Tif
Post a Comment