Friday, July 25, 2008

I Prefer the " + " sign

Vacation - Budget = Ouch!

I had good intentions. "I'm on a budget, I can't spend a lot of money"...what a novel thought - only it didn't work. Why didn't it work? What was missing?

I never SET the budget I was to be on during vacation!! That's a big deal to me because I had to learn a HARD lesson when I got home. I spent $150 unnecessarily while in Texas. When I got home and balanced the bank account, I was $140 short to cover an outstanding check. Worse than that. I had to confess to my husband that I blew it and borrow the money from him to cover the check. How did I repay the loan? I had to take cash OUT of my beloved envelopes to pay him back! That HURTS!

I've been so excited about the money I've stashed in my 7 x 7.5" tilted squares, it made me angry (at myself) to have to take money out of one! Just before the realization of my oops, I did an accounting of my envelope balances. Brace yourself: I have saved $452 since June 17! That's amazing! Then, there's the $140 I owe Brian...$312 still isn't bad, considering my overall habits of the past. I just see there is no room for a non-budget. I am willing to change. I am ready to learn from my mistake. Along with bank overdraft charges, borrowing money from Brian to cover my butt financially, will not happen again!
___________________________________________________________________

Topic change:

Brian and I went on a date Wednesday. In May, I purchased concert tickets to see David Crowder and MercyMe. What a great concert! One of the highlights...

We came home with $15 still in our pockets! (What a terrific feeling to have the money planned to spend, and decide there is nothing "worth" spending it on! Now we have a $15 jump on our next date!)

2 comments:

letterstoelijah said...

Oh I bet David Crowder was awesome! and to come home with money too.. what a bonus!

Giraffe Spender said...

David Crowder Rocks! The highlight of Crowder concerts is always hearing our favorite song (the one that helped Brian propose to me with!) and hearing new favorites, too! And, of course, watching David jam on the Guitar Hero guitar! (our son was QUITE disappointed he missed that!)

Thanks for stopping by!!

Blessings,
Tif