Friday, August 22, 2008

I'm Leavin', On A Jet Plane...

Well, that would be the plan - except Chicka-Doodle doesn't have enough money for a plane ticket, so she's going to ride her scooter. All the way to Texas.

It started with a 3-digit-lock-hide-a-key-thingy. She'd been asked repeatedly not to mess with it. Just ten minutes after the last directive to "put it down", there's a "Look what you did!" drifting from Goose's room. Followed by an "I didn't mean to!" screech from Chicka-Doodle.

In messing with it, she accidentally reset the code - to who knows what. Now, we can't get it open.

I explained that if she can't get it open by the end of the weekend, she will have to replace it. Her response? "How much does it cost?" (I love the way she is so money minded! I'm envious!) Me, sounding matter-of-factly, "About $10." Her, defiantly, "I'm not paying for it." The next thing I know, Brian's skydiving rig case (aka large suitcase with wheels) is being rolled into the living room by a 7 year old, (wearing a back pack and a scowl on her face), with her scooter and helmet attached to the handle. She declared she's "going to Mammie's house".

I asked her if she had money for a plane ticket - that she can't get on the plane without one. She replied to me "They cost too much money, I'm going to ride my scooter." (Oh, the pain of keeping that smile from slipping through my cheeks!)

I wished her well on her trip and asked her to call when she arrived. And then she realized she might get hungry on the way, so she decided to pack two important items: 1. Two free burrito coupons from Del Taco 2. Fourteen cents to pay for tax (on two burritos) ...what a mind this child has!!!

Fortunately, before she had the chance to get too far, Dad came home and asked her some questions she hadn't considered. (I wasn't invited into this conversation, so I don't know what was said) In the end, she decided she'd go visit Mammie another time, when WE pay for a plane ticket, because a scooter ride would be very tiring, and, she might get hungry for more than two burritos.

The point I'm trying (probably not very successfully) to make is what a wonderful mind for money this kid has! She was willing to run away in order to not pay a $10 "penalty fee". At any given moment she knows exactly what is in her savings account - to the penny. She has successfully saved over $130 in 8 months - with the biggest single deposit being only $10!! If only I had that kind of will power to save when I was her age!!!!

God bless this strong-willed, intelligent, independent child. And thank You, Father, for her frugal attitude! May she continue to teach me!

Oh, by the way....today, she came into my room, picked said thingy up - and cracked the code. Smartie pants.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Awwwwww!! That was such an awesome and entertaining story. I also had the best money-saving attitude as a child. At 11, I saved up all my neighborhood baby-sitting money and bought my own VCR. I remember the excitement of my savings account. But now, the numbers in my mind aren't savings but debts. Grrr. I hope she continues her frugalty because she's going to love having that skill in twenty years!