I've shared how much the month of December threw us off schedule, off balance and off budget. There were a few things that did this, and one can't be any more responsible for it than another. It's just the way December happened for us.
Chick-Doodle asked for a trip* to Seattle to visit her Grandma (my Mom) and her GREAT-Grandma (Mom's Mom). My Mom flew from Houston to Seattle to stay with Grandma so my Aunt could go to Utah and visit with her grandchildren. Usually I join her when there's a chance to visit these lovely ladies, but this was Chicha-Doodle's time. I believe there was something in her heart that let her know Great Grandma may not be around much longer. (She was diagnosed with bone cancer the Tuesday after Chicka-Doodle came home.)
* did you know airlines are now charing $75 each way for an unaccompanied minor? Did you know that with that $75 there is NOTHING different about the service than it was without the $75? Just thought I'd mention that! =)
Well, if you were watching the weather at ALL the week before Christmas, you'll know that it was stinkin' cold - EVERYWHERE! But in Seattle, they had an unusual amount of snow. This thrills our little princess to no end - only, being from Southern California... she didn't have the appropriate wardrobe for the adventure. So, off to Kohl's we went, (with 30% off everything coupon) and re-vamped her winter clothing* into something more suitable for snow!
* Thankfully, she still fit in her actual snow gear - ski pants, jacket, goggles, gloves and boots, it's was just the clothing she needed to have upgraded. YAY!!!!
Speaking of snow gear... My biggest kid (Brian) came across an amazing deal on new snowboard pants and jacket. Too good to pass up - especially considering his old pants had a tear in the rear that was about two inches long. Somehow a cold, wet bottom just doesn't sound fun. So I encouraged him to purchase the new gear for himself. (This was before we got the request from Chicka-Doodle for a trip North).
And have I mentioned that I love pearls? I do. I love them. But not just any pearls. They have to be chosen in the oyster, hidden from view until they are dug out from the oyster to reveal the beauty within. There's a wonderful tradition in our house - on my birthday each year, Brian takes the kids to a Hawaiian store near our house where they have these oysters to open. Each year, whatever pearls the kids choose for me, goes onto an anklet Brian bought me three years ago. (And on Valentine's Day, he takes me to pick my own pearl to put on the bracelet he bought to match the anklet.)
Anyway, each of us has opened an oyster or two over the years for no reason other than to see what we get. Quite a while ago, Chicka-Doodle opened an oyster with twin pearls. They are beautiful!!! They are the same rich, creamy off-white as the pearl necklace Brian gave me just before our wedding. I mentioned that I'd love to have those pearls set for a pair of earrings - and I picked out the setting! Well, for Christmas - I got that pair of earrings, set with those creamy pearls!
Well... a few days after Christmas, I got a call from Brian. He said he'd just received a horrible phone call. He asked me to meet him at our "pearl store" with the black twins he opened one night while we were on a date. I was confused, but I did as he asked...
Our sales person from this special place (the only person we've ever purchased from in all 4 years we've been going) had called Brian to tell him she was notified that day that they were closing the doors.* Brian had secretly put the exact earrings that he got me for Christmas on lay-a-way. Only these were white-gold, to be set with the black pearls. Well, Linda had called to tell him he needed to get in to the store THAT day or he would lose the earrings and the money he'd put down on the jewelry.
He shared with me he was disappointed because they were supposed to be a Valentine's gift along with my bracelet. He and Linda had the whole thing set up... And it was just as wonderful getting it early. BUT, I haven't warn them yet! =)
* the jewelry section of the closed store is looking for a new location, so there is a chance that this will not be as devastating as it could have been to us. Yippy! AND that means Linda would not be out of the job she does so exceptionally well!
So, we found out the sister store is in San Francisco and they are still open. I've already called the manager there and explained the situation of our tradition. He invited me to his store. And, we can take Linda along to do the opening ceremony if we want!
I'm sure there were other things that threw our budget out the window last month, but these were the biggies. These were what we chose to grab our emergency fund for, to pay off the credit card that gets paid off every month - to not get pounded with finance charges.
And then God did this AMAZING thing. His timing is so perfect....
Almost a year ago, I had a pretty major surgery. One big enough that I was flat on my back for two weeks and mostly down for four weeks after that. My doctor requested Brian be home to help me and to take care of the kids for those two weeks because I was really DOWN. We applied for FMLA, which would allow Brian to be paid a portion of his salary... we were denied. The hospital sent off the paperwork without having the doctors signature. I tried and tried to get my doctor to sign it, with no results. I gave up and asked Brian to take care of it. Nothing.
Finally, in December - 9 months after the surgery - Brian was ale to talk to someone who helped us. We went through the entire process again, only this time with a stamp from Kaiser saying "DELAYED WITH NO FAULT TO THE PATIENT". We weren't holding our breath. The folks at EDD told us it was pretty clear-cut that too much time had lapsed. Then, on Saturday...
We received a check from EDD for almost what Brian brings home each paycheck.
God is so good!!! We got our card paid off AND our emergency fund is back where it started. What a wonderful God we serve!!
On to other news...
January is a big snowboarding month around here. Brian went to Mammoth last weekend. I don't have pictures yet but thankfully, there was no video tape to watch. Last time I watched video, I watched my husband nearly crack his sternum in half. I wanted to jump into the television and throttle the guy who got in the way of the rail so Brian clipped his board at an odd angel...blah, blah, blah. I choose not to watch video anymore!
But...
Here's a pic of Goose with some of his Scout friends at a local mountain for some snowboarding fun this past weekend.
(Goose is the short guy in the middle)Oh, the freedom of a board - with guys you can be yourself around.
Side Note: YEAH!! No broken bones!!
Blessings,
Tif
No comments:
Post a Comment