I went through a dry season. Do you know what I'm talking about? feeling totally disconnected? from EVERY thing and just about every one? It hit me hard across the board. My marriage was strong, my husband and I happy, family life was rolling along with only a few more bumps than usual, my friends were awesome; i just wasn't OK. I can't put my finger on it still, I just know it was a dry season. God & I weren't connecting - truth be told, I was not connecting. In fact, I felt disconnected from just about everyone but Brian, Goose & Chicka-Doodle.
I'm so blessed to have such fantastic friends and family who stood by me and put up with my funk. Love to you ALL!!
So, looking back at our finances - I've had the most amazing 209 days. I have sealed and delivered two car registrations, AAA membership, USPA yearly membership, a parachute reserve pack (plus fun jump & chute pack), full payment of getting our taxes done for 2008 and the MOST mind blowing: 6 full months of car insurance for the two of us!
This is not including the other amounts building up for Brian's 2009/10 Mammoth Season Pass, the lifetime USPA membership (which will put to rest the yearly amounts), and rebuilding the same envelops that have been sealed and delivered.
Another big change is the fact that I have taken the leading role in our household finances. Brian no longer calls the bank to check activity, he asks me. It's been quite a learning adventure for me! God is amazing that he could lay this on my heart to do my best and stick with it for so long that it seems second nature now!
I NEVER would have thought this all possible!
With the news that we are getting IOUs instead of state refunds, I'm not sure we'll make our (hopeful) deadline of being out of debt by April this year - but we will be MUCH closer than we are now! That is an amazing feeling!
We have continued with the kids' salary. They are doing well. Chicka-Doodle saved enough for her first goal: an Easy Bake Oven! She plunked down $19.98 for her beloved oven. Her next goal was a new stereo (like her brother's) for her room. About $12 into it, she changed her goal. (Sit down for this!) She is saving for a house. Not a doll house, a REAL house - one to live in! She's determined enough and frugal enough to pay cash for her first home. I bet she does it!
She has also decided to upgrade her magazine subscription. That was $18 she thought long and hard about. She decided she liked the magazine enough to spend her own money on it.
Goose did not. He let his lapse. He chose to spend his money on Tribe Regalia. (When I get good photos of him in cape & apron, I'll try to post them.) He has the same struggles I did with money. I've tried to share my experience, but it seems he'll have to learn his own lessons. It breaks my heart!
On a different financial note: We are now the proud (albeit confused) owners of the new imac. We were able to afford this new "toy" through the account I've built with my three-hour-a-week job. (thanks AHS!) Unfortunately, it's quite different from the PC world and we have a lot of learning to do! Both kids run circles around Brian & I on it! Just give us a couple weeks... we'll catch up, I'm sure of it!
Thanks, everyone, for being patient and not giving up on this blog!
Blessings,
Tif
4 comments:
Good morning, my dear friend :) I'm glad you're popping out of your funk. I understand completely, I've had a few of them myself and they'll always remain unexplainable. It's like having to search for yourself again.
Way to go on being a financial queen now! You are my hero (or is that heroine? or am I spelling that wrong? lol!). I hope to become as sure as you are about finances throughout this year. Right now, I still feel like I'm being lectured whenever dollar signs appear in a conversation.
Much love and tons of hugs! When does your husband get back?
Elizabeth,
Your friendship has been SUCH a blessing!!! Thank You!
Financial princess perhaps, but certainly not QUEEN! =)
Brian will be home late tonight. They are cutting snowboard trip short so he can use his vacation day tomorrow at Lake Elsinore skydiving. His currency is almost up and needs to get a jump in to save money. How silly does that sound?!?!
Oh, and I've often wondered the same about hero/heroine question. (Not that I took it this way) but it's almost like telling a woman hero she's addictive! LoL! Maybe a girl hero should be a "she-ro" since a boy one is called a "he-ro"!!
Blessings,
Tif
PS seriously, thanks for not giving up on me!
Tif!!!!
I was so excited to see your comment on my blog...I wondered where you went. I have no doubt that you will meet your goals this year...you are brave to get the IMAC, I wasn't ready for a learning curve...but I hear they are wonderful!
I'm probably much older than you, and I've had many "funks"...they come and go...and like you, sometimes I like to exit the "world" and stay in the loving arms of my immediate family...husband and kids....
I'm still a bit like that, but being older has put a different perspective on it. I guess it doesn't bother me when I enter the funks, because I know they will pass...
Glad you are back!!!
Warm regards, Sharon
Sharon,
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad it's over! It really threw me for a loop. =)
Ha! I came home last night to Chicka-Doodle playing with her limited access (parental control ROCKS!!) to the computer and she found not only the built-in camera....she found the VIDEO PLAYER!
Brian was making dinner and Goose & I were out.... he was chuckling when I came in the door and pointed toward the computer....
I'll have to ask Goose how to move that from where it is to the folder that I can post to my blog. She was cracking herself up as much as Goose was!
Blessings,
Tif
Post a Comment