My love affair with pearls. Have you ever chosen an oyster, had it opened before your eyes to see the beauty-prize hidden inside?
This activity leaves me in awe every time. Picking through a collection of hideously ugly oysters with foot-long wooden tongs, with an oder that is... icky. Each oyster is uglier than the previous. Some are moldy looking, discolored, chipped, "hairy" - with grass-like substance growing on the shell. It's said that the uglier and hairier the oyster, the more beautiful the pearl inside.
Once the oyster is opened, you can see the inner side of the shell. It's beautiful! The colors and beauty of iridescence that shimmers in the light. And then, when you push through the meat of the oyster - you find the most beautiful pearl! A perfectly shaped, rich in luster, individual treasure.
Did you know that a pearl is created from an irritant in the shell - such as a grain of sand?
I think about people. How we can be so horribly ugly. With our personalities, our opinions, our judgements - we can be so unlovely! And then God chooses us. He picks us for himself - knowing all of our flaws and imperfections. When we allow Him a place in our lives, we are left to expose our inner shells - where there is beauty and light. And when we really let Him into our hearts, we see that he has transformed the irritants of our lives into a beautiful treasure - our hearts.
___________________________________________
Finally, the pictures of the chosen pearls I received in earring settings...
Below are the beautiful pearl earrings I was surprised with at Christmas. What is great about these is that the pearls can be removed. I haven't stopped wearing the gold hoop part since Christmas! And I know this photo doesn't show it - but they are a beautiful creamy white.
And you can (sorta) see how well they match the necklace Brian got me...
And here is the matching set in white gold with the black twins, which I was supposed to get as a surprise on Valentine's day. I am taking that into consideration - I have not worn them yet!!
I couldn't keep you in suspense any longer about what these priceless treasures look like! I'll post my anklet and bracelet soon, too!
Blessings,
4 comments:
I love the black ones!!! Very neato!
These are beautiful...thanks for sharing your story on how you picked them out...that is so true..but you can connect the analogy that someone may not be gorgeous on the outside, but inside - just stunning!
Sharon,
Absolutely!! And these are not pearls I've chosen, but one's that Chicka-Doodle picked (white) and Brian picked (Black) - both which happened to be twins... great for a pair of earrings!! (or two!)
Blessings,
Tif
I give you the letter P!! YAY!
Post a Comment